Skip to main content

Passion

Hi Readers & Friends,

Last post I wrote a bit about purpose and what that means to me. Hopefully, it got those of you who read it thinking about your own purpose. Today, I want to add to it and write about passion.

The first big talk I ever gave to writers occurred at the Southern California Writer's Conference in San Diego several years ago. Not only was I really nervous to give a talk in front of my peers, but I also hoped what I spoke about would truly resonate with the audience whether or not they continued with their writing path or went a different route. I thought long and hard about what I wanted my message to be. What it came down to is my ideology on what it takes to be a good writer and in reality what it takes to really be good and achieve at anything in life. I call it the "Five P's."

The first was obviously...PURPOSE. Have you discovered what your purpose really is? We all have one. We have this life to live here and I truly believe no one was put here by accident. There is a purpose we all have and whether or not you discover that as a kid, in middle age or even as a senior...I think to live a fulfilling life that exploring what your purpose here in this world and for yourself and those you love is important. But, I already wrote about purpose so you can check that out from the last post. 😊

PASSION is my second "p" and it goes along with purpose. A great quote from Bishop T.D. Jakes is "If you can't figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right to your purpose."

Ask yourself...what do you love in this world? Is it helping others? Is it writing? Is it singing? Is it math? Is it yoga? Is it animals? The list is endless, right? And, when you know what makes you truly tick and what you really love (and it can be many things) then dive in wholeheartedly. Don't hold back. Life is short. It really is. It's too short not to take risks, not to dive off the deep end once in awhile and see what happens. I've found that if I do what I love and I do it passionately that I feel a sense of peace and happiness from within. There is nothing to lose when we stretch ourselves because we are passionate about something. For me, that might mean writing outside of my comfort zone if I'm inspired by a story. It's probably why I've written in a variety of genres. I'm passionate about the stories themselves and they inspire me, not so much what sells for me because it's where I've built a readership. It's because I love what I'm writing at that moment. I try hard to achieve this in every aspect in my life whether it be in taking care of my family, singing in the car, dancing by myself in my room, falling in love, cooking a meal and in so many other areas. Passion means truly living. It doesn't mean that everything will always be rosy and wonderful but it does mean that you will likely have a life with zero regrets. One last quote (those of you who know me, know I really like quotes)... "There is no passion to be found playing small--in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." Nelson Mandela

So, what are you passionate about and are you living a passionate life? What does living a passionate life mean to you?

XO,
Michele

PS...Next week I'll write about the third "P"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re