Skip to main content

Being Different

I heard something really interesting on the radio this morning on my way to work and it got me thinking. I listen to a show here in San Diego every morning called The Mikey Show. It's funny, relevant and in many ways it has helped me personally get through some dark times recently. Laughter is always a wonderful medicine for what may ail us--and this group of people in the early hours makes me laugh--a lot.

Anyway, this morning I heard "Mikey" talking about a campaign that he is doing called "Be Different." From my understanding of "Being Different" through listening to "The Mikey Show" this morning is that Being Different is about being accountable for one's actions, it's about taking a second or two or even a minute before reacting negatively to something you might find upsetting or offensive. It's about being gracious, which in some ways I think our society has forgotten how to be. It's about lending a hand, being real with your smile, saying "good morning or good afternoon, evening," to the man or woman behind the grocery counter, bank counter, post office, etc. It's about taking time to say "I love you" daily to your loved ones and really meaning those words. Life is short--well, too short to waste. Being Different reminds us that Being Good and asking ourselves on a regular basis, "What is the right thing to do?" is important. Many times we do the easy thing because doing the right thing isn't always easy. Many times it's even painful.

I'm linking the information here about The Mikey Show Campaign on Being Different because it struck a chord with me. And, after reading what he had to say, it was a no brainer for me in stating that "Yes! I want to be different." I hope that you will take a minute to check this out.
 http://www.bedifferentpact.com/
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Michele

Comments

Gilly Ryan said…
Thank you for reminding me to "be different" and that being different can be a good thing. To me, what you wrote about and what the radio show talked about is so important to better our society. Too many of us are so busy that we get into our own world and forget to interact face-to-face with others. We go about our day focused on what WE need to get done and on our wants and needs. It is very easy to ignore the needs of others and our need to connect positively with others. It makes my heart warm each time a door is held open for me (especially if my hands are full). And it makes me feel good when someone tells me to "have a nice day." Even if it's only said out of habit, it makes me remember..."oh yeah... I deserve to make an effort to have a nice day."
Your comments remind me of how much power I have in my actions, attitudes, and words to make the world a better place by adding positive energy to other's lives. And when the world is a better place, we all benefit.

Thank you for the reminder! Thank YOU for "being different!:

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re