Skip to main content

Chipotle Turkey Tacos

Being a busy Mom/writer can be tiring, and it also means you have to be flexible. This includes when it comes to cooking meals. I love to cook and create, so last night I had to apply my creative skills combined with flexibility because it was one exhausting weekend. It started with my middle kid and I flying out to Sacramento for the night and next day where I was honored to teach a workshop for Capitol City Young Writers. Talk about a great group of passionate young writers! There were kids in the group who had written full manuscripts of over 400 pages!

Anyway, after landing back home Sat eve., John and I made our way up to where our horses are because our youngest was already staying with our trainer Terri, and getting ready for yesterday's horse show. Horse show days begin very early and tend to end late. Ten to twelve hours is not unheard of on a horse show day. Needless to say that by the time we made it home last night, the last thing on my mind was going to the store and filling up the fridge and making dinner. I had a hungry kid who was on the verge of a meltdown from being over tired, so I went to the freezer and found some ground turkey to defrost.

I found corn tortillas and we had cheese and tomatoes. See where I'm going here? I dind't have any of those little taco seasoning packets that come in so handy, but I do always have on hand-- chipotle powder, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika and garlic. Always. We had some orange juice in the fridge too, and I knew I could make these ingredients work. Let me just say that my ground turkey chipotle tacos were yummy and here is the recipe:

(Keep in mind my family loves spicy, so you may have to adjust the chile powders for your taste).

1 lb ground turkey
2 tsp chopped garlic
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp ancho chile powder
1/2 tsp smooked paprika
pinch of salt
pinch of seasoning salt
1/2 cup of orange juice

cook ground turkey with all seasonings in olive oil (turkey has a lot less fat obviously than ground beef, thus I like to cook it in a spalsh of olive oil). Once the turkey is browned, pour in the orange juice, bring to boil and then simmer until juice is absorbed in the meat. The flavor is smoky, spicy with a hint of sweetness due to the juice. It was a hit with all three kids. Took me a half an hour. I sliced cucumbers as a side to cool the spices, and we also had apple slices. Easy and tasty. We had ours with corn tortillas, but if you prefer flour, go for it. I topped them with some cheese and tomatoes and we were good to go and I prevented a total 8 yr. old meltdown. I happened to have a bottle of $10.00 Cab in the wine wrack and I had a glass with the tacos, which went very well together.

Give these tacos a try. I think you'll be pleased you did.

I'd love to hear about your quick recipes. Please share.

Cheers,
Michele

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re