Skip to main content

New Covers and Pen Names

I know I have mentioned before on this blog about the new e-book craze and self-publishing and I am a huge fan of J.A. Konrath who has basically pioneered this trend and done an amazing job doing so. A few years ago I would have never suggested to anyone out there to go this route. However, things in the publishing world are changing and that much is obvious. I decided that I would jump on this ride and see where it would take me. I am still publishing some titles traditionally and that is because I have found an amazing publisher who has a different attitude than most (at least from my experience). This boutique house (ZOVA) runs on the premise that they are not simply selling books (units), but more importantly it is the relationship they build with their authors in the hopes and goal of building careers. I like that attitude a lot. There are real people behind the books that get written and their books mean something to them. So, I am grateful to have inked a deal with this fantastic group of individuals.

I am also doing some self-pubbing these days as rights are reverted back to me from my back lists and also with books that I want to write that may not fit the "Michele Scott" brand. I realize that I have built a decent readership with my mysteries and that readership has come to expect a certain type of book from me. I write books under my real name that are light and funny with a few twists and some romance thrown in for good measure. I like a little romance, so I like to include in my mysteries and of course into my women's fiction.

One of the things that I have learned from reading Konrath's blog is that covers make a huge difference as to what readers will spend their money on. I have always known this but when I decided to try out this process of making my back list available myself, I didn't put much credence into it. I thought that I would put them out there and maybe earn some coffee money here and there. Then in the last month something started to happen--the books started selling quite a bit more on a daily basis. I thought at that time that maybe I shouldn't change what doesn't seem to be broken. However, I wasn't doing the types of sales that I read about some of these success stories on Konrath's blog. The kind that allows writers to quit their day job. I made the decision to go for it and redo the covers AND write a few of the books under a couple of different pen names. I started out with my Michaela Bancroft Mysteries (AKA The Horse Lover's Mysteries). One of the reasons that I am coining them the Michaela Bancroft Mysteries now has to do with the fact that so many readers out there seem to have the impression that one must love horses to enjoy these mysteries. On the contrary, I assure you! So far, I have "Saddled with Trouble," redone and would love you feedback. 

As mentioned, I am using a couple of pen names. One of them is A.K. Alexander for my thrillers that tend to be WAY different from my mysteries. They have bad ass heroines (not that Michaela and Nikki aren't) who are out to get some very evil killers. When I chose the pen name I used my kids' initials. I didn't see the AKA until my oldest pointed it out. DUH, Mom. Kinda cool though, huh? So here is the new cover for the first thriller. The second one is being worked on now, and I have just come up with a new idea for another thriller that I am plotting out and super excited to write. Again, feedback is more than welcome and you can't hurt my feeelings too much if you don't like it. Writers must grow hard callouses on their hearts and egos or we won't stay in the writing business long.

And, finally my third new cover and yet another pen name--and a change in the title. "Now, why go to all that trouble?" You may be asking me. It is a legit question and hopefully my answer doesn't sound dumb. First, let me tell you what I did and then why. My book that I titled "El Patron," (accent over the e, but I am techno and computer inept so just visualize it here) was not selling. Everything else I was putting out there has been selling but not this book. I scratched my head because I have to be honest, "I LOVE this book." And the people who have read it also seem to enjoy it. I believe in the book and always have. I am not ready to give up on it by any stretch of the imagination. I thought that if I put a really hot guy on the cover that it would sell. You know that old adage that sex sells? Yeah well,  not so much with this book. I took a hard look and asked some questions of others and myself. First off, is this book a romance, which is what the cover implies? No. It has romance in it, but in reality it is a family saga and one that has some Godfather undertones, thus the original title El Patron. That title is a problem I discovered. It seems to make readers think of tequila. I don't see how that is a problem, but in this case it is. Sure the characters do a few tequila shots in the book, but it definitely is not about tequila. I asked myself what is this book about? Yes--it's a family saga but who are the main guys and what is their story? Hmmm...duh (yet again, only this time from myself). This book is about The Cartel. It's gritty, it's violent, and it has some main characters who are not so nice. I changed the title to tah-dah: "The Cartel." I changed "my name" to Sofia Cruz. Don't ask me why, I just liked the sound of it. My mom is like, "Why Sofia Cruz?" I said, "Cuz it kinda sounds good." She gave me an odd look. Whatever, I'm going with it and hopefully this time around, I see some sales with this book--because I like the book! So there you go. Nothing like reinventing oneself.

I'd love your thoughts, comments, questions, answers, whatever. And as an incentive--I have a dozen "Toast to Murders," to give away. Post a comment and you get one. :) And, by the way--all three of these books are on Kindle for .99 cents!

Cheers,
Michele

Comments

Gayle Carline said…
I was once told that pen-names, while useful, require you to get an official "AKA" document, but it sounds like that's not true, especially if you're self-pubbing? Love the new covers, and the re-title of El Patron sounds smart. I actually thought it sounded like a family saga (title reminded me of a patriarch), but the previous cover made it look like romance.

Btw, did you get my email?
michele said…
I didn't get your e-mail. When did you send it? Just resend. Thanks for the comment. I will definitely get you your "Toast" copy!
Ann H. said…
Let me start by saying I LOVE your Wine Lover's Mystery series - I have them all - and I also really like their covers. I need something to get me out of my comfortable cozy reading - which is always my main focus when choosing books - but then I'll go to the extreme and get something about people being killed in mental institutions ("Saving Max" is actualy an awesome book.) While I like the idea of your horse mysteries - if I were going by covers alone - I think I'd pick up "Daddy's Home" - Is this available as an actual book or just as an e-book? (I'm still the paper-in-my-hands reader). I think you're a wonderful writer and enjoy your books - and your blog - and wish you luck with this new publishing adventure!
runner10 said…
I love your books. I think my fav has been Happy Hour.
You and your family have been in my thoughts lately. I thought your NYT article was well written. Many families can relate to what you are experiencing. Thanks for sharing.
Keep writing and riding!
Denise

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re