Skip to main content

The Story Behind the Story

There's always a story behind every book. The what if's do sometimes jump out at writers but at the end of the day there is some kind of story that goes along with the story.

In between the next chapter of "Saddled with Trouble," I thought I'd write a bit about the story that is behind the book and some of the challenges that were met while writing it.

If you have read or want to read the Michaela Bancroft series then you know that Michaela trains Quarter Horses and she focuses on reiners. For those of you who don't know what reining is, it is where rider and horse work together as one through precise pattern circles, spins, and stops. All work is done at the canter (or "lope" or "run" in Western parlance). The patterns consist of small slow circles, large fast circles, spins, and rapid changes of directions, flying lead changes, and sliding stops. I have to be completely honest, I don't know a ton about reining. It's not the discipline that I ride in. But I do know about horses and I have grown up around a lot of horse people. My dad is a cowboy and started his equestrian business over 35 years ago. His love and passion has always been toward The Quarter Horse and the disciplines that you may associate most Quarter horses with such disciplines as reining and cutting. Myself on the other hand, have always ridden English and jumping is my passion. So why not write about a character who trains say Thoroughbreds or Warmbloods in the English disciplines? I wanted to, but my dad talked me into using the Quarter Horse world and reining as a setting. He made some good points and I went with it. I've learned a lot more about these disciplines since I've written three books in the series. My passion is still in the jumping. That isn't going to change. But what is interesting to me is that Michaela's character fits so well with what she does. She's very down to Earth, decent person who loves the animals, her friends and her family. I enjoy writing about her life a great deal.

I mentioned the challenges that each book faces when being written. Life sometimes get in the way of writing process. With this book, it did but I still kept on writing because that was what writers do. My best friend Hillarie had breast cancer and while writing this book she was in the last stages. I spent a lot of time at her kitchen table working on the book and being available to her. As I worked on the manuscript I noticed a certain character taking on traits of Hillarie--Michaela's bff Camden. Hill always had a real joy for life and she laughed and joked a lot. She had a wonderful sense of humor and some of the antics that we pulled off together were down right nutty but lots of fun. I finished the book on time and sadly I also lost my friend. I miss her a lot but much of her spirit lives on in my character Camden. It's funny how life and writing co-mingle together. As I stated--there is always a story behind the story.

Cheers,
Michele

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re