Skip to main content

Making a Comeback

Hello all, this is Cassie, Michele's assistant.  Lately she has been going through some difficult times as I'm sure many of you are aware.  She has asked me to join in on her blog for a bit.  We are calling ourselves team longshot because of our struggles.  Recently I had quite the traumatic experience myself and I would like to share my story which hopefully inspires others to keep on fighting even in tough times.

Note this is not the horse that kicked me, this is my adorable horse Finally.... (Photo credit Amy Williams)

Kermit the frog famously noted that, “It isn’t easy being green,” and I can tell you that returning to normal after a life changing experience is also not so easy.  It is no real secret that life is hard for everyone (all in different ways), and no one in this world is handed special treatment.  Yet some hits in life are harder than others.  Currently, I am struggling with getting my life back together after experiencing some nearly deadly injuries from the back leg kicks of a big horse.  Although I have recently returned to work for the first time since the accident, it still does not feel like I’m the old me.  Suddenly I am aware that a life changing experience has permanent effects that cannot be sewed over like plastic surgery.  Sure I’m back at work.  Soon I will be riding again, running again, showing off my new fancy teeth, and my hair will all grow back.  Inside however, my eyes and memories recall how close I came to forever leaving this earth.  Right now, I get to deal with being treated a little differently by all who know me, whether with extra care from my family and friends, or simply by people not quite expecting as much out of me.  I find that I can accept help or gifts much more easily than ever before.  It is hard to say whether I am so grateful, or maybe its because I’ve softened up a bit.  I love life and appreciate everything, large and small, with a renewed strength and intensity.  At the hospital, I was known as a super polite patient, because I was always thanking everyone.  Currently I’m facing some serious medical and dental bills.  This translates into some big time penny pinching but I will have the time to pay them off.  I have friends that have recently lost a close member of the family, and at the time I encouraged them to keep on living and enjoying the life they deserve!  This accident was a hard lesson, but one with valuable take-home messages.  Life just can be plain mean, but it does reward the fighters if they get up and keep on going.  It is possible to rise above the burdens, the bills, the nagging irritants of recovery.  Life offers so much.  I am inspired by those who rallied around me, whether it is by giving flowers, food, cards, cash, or just warm wishes.  It is not so bad to be able to lean on some friends who are eager to help.

Lots of Love, Cassie

Comments

Unknown said…
Straight from the heart, lovely story.
Linda McDonald said…
Thank you for sharing your story. Prayers and good thoughts are being sent your way.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a