Skip to main content

Loyalty is found in the heart


In contrast to last week, when I wrote about the difficulties in making a comeback after a terrible accident caused by a horse, today I want to touch upon the good and special in horses. My six year old quarter horse “Finally” (got his namesake by being born a month late) was tied up across from the horse that nearly took my life. After I was kicked, and when they had pulled the offending horse clear of everyone, there was an attempt to move all of the other horses out of the way to make room for the ambulance. My horse stood stock still, parallel to the trailer, eyes fixated on me. Several concerned friends tried to move him and he refused, not rudely, but with an air of determined calm resistance. He knew that I was hurt and was not going to leave my side. Eventually it proved more productive to move me, and only then did Finally allow someone to lead him to a nearby trailer, where he was tied up next to one of his friends, a 3 year old paint. The ambulance arrived quickly. It’s flashing lights caused every horse within sight to freak out, every horse that is except for Finally and his young friend. Both stood absolutely calm and still, keeping their eyes on me. I had no clue that I had just been kicked by a horse, or why I was being held down by friends. At that moment, the only thing that I could remember was that a horse had tried to kick Finally. Over and over, I repeatedly asked if Finally was okay. Finally was fine, and had suffered only one kick. But it took me several hours at the hospital before I could stop asking about Finally. On that dreadful day, he proved to me forever that he is my loyal baby. All he knew was that his mom got hurt and that his job was to stand by and protect me until help arrived. There is truth in that every horse has the power to do great harm, but there is also truth in that every horse has the power to love unconditionally. From the moment he was born, I knew in my heart that this baby horse was special, unfortunately it took a bad accident for the rest of the world to see I was right.

Cassie Hagey

Comments

Gilly Ryan said…
Thank you so much for sharing. I've thought a lot about that day... but hadn't thought about the impact on Finally. Horses are amazing creatures, and it is wonderful to have such a connection.
Linda McDonald said…
Animals are so amazing. Thank you for telling us about Finally. I can just picture him there, watching you and worried for you.

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a