Skip to main content

Writers' Conferences and Advanced Reads

Next weekend I will be teaching a couple of workshops at the So. Cal Writer's Conference held in Irvine. I love attending writers' conferences. It reminds me that there are others out there as insane as I am. It's good not to be alone.

I also will be doing critiques on five partials from writers and having to give those writers my thoughts/opinions. Sometimes that is not such an easy job. It's hard to tell someone that they need a little more work (or a lot). When I do one-on-one critiques, I have noticed there are one of two types of writers who sit down across from me at the table to go over their work--a. is the writer who is scared and nervous. I used to be this writer. I would get myself so worked up when pitching to an agent or do a read and critique with an author/agent or editor that I couldn't eat, or at times sleep the night before. I finally realized that agents, authors, editors (anyone in the business) are just people like me. They can't take away my birthday or children and they won't eat me alive. Their words at times may have bruised my ego, but I survived. Keep in mind if you are a writer going in for a critique that when someone is giving you constructive criticism (and it should be that. If someone is outright mean and nasty: ie: "What is this piece of crap you've written?" --yes, that happened to me, although the words used were a bit nastier--report them to the conference. That's totally uncalled for and the idea behind someone giving the critique is that they are there to help and guide not berate and belittle) it's only their opinion. You get the right to vote on that opinion later. Ultimately listen to what the person has to say, digest it, think about it for a day or two and then take another look at your work. You may decide that what the crtiquer (is that a word?--ha, ha and I'm a writer, anyway...) has said has merit, or you may ultimately decide that what that person has said is stupid. The beauty is you get to decide.

The second type of writer that sits down across from me at that table is the one who wants to defend everything they've written and does not really listen to what I have to say. Now, I may not know everything about writing. In fact, I know I am far from it. That's the great thing about being a writer--it's always a learning process. However, I've written fifteen manuscripts over the years and nine of them are published. Those others were my learning curve. I might be able to help give insight. If you are on the other end of a critique, just listen. If you have to defend the work, then it didn't work. However, that means it didn't work for me, or whoever is giving you the critique. If you totally disagree with a critique, give it to a handful of other people to read (not your parent, spouse, sibling, friend, or children), and get a consensus. If everyone tells you that you need to make some changes and you still don't listen, then I don't know what to tell you.

So, if you are venturing out to a conference this year and you've sent your work in for advance reads--relax. Again--remember that writing is a learning experience. We don't improve without lsitening, taking note and then moving forward. This path is a true journey. Enjoy it.

Cheers,
Michele

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Blogger Jessica Park and Chapter One of "Cook the Books."

I am very happy today to have my good friend Jessica Park share the first chapter of her next book, "Cook the Books," due out in March. If you haven't read a Gourmet Girl Mystery, you need to. They're everything a good mystery should be and more--They're funny, romantic, mysterious(duh) and just plain fun. Do yourself a favor and read the entire series. You won't be sorry! Without further ado... Chapter 1 I have a love-hate relationship with Craigslist. On the one hand, I adore poking through the online classifieds for items I don’t even want—Swedish bobbin winders, chicken coops, vintage Christmas ornaments—and for enviable extravagances that I can’t afford—like the services of someone to come to my house to change the cat litter. On the other hand, I hate getting sucked into the vortex of randomly searching for weird items and unaffordable services instead of looking for what I actually need. For example, at the moment, I absolutely had to find a part-time j

Powerless and Pissy

(The kid and I wrote this blog yesterday, but I'm happy to say we now have power!) Oh. God. Killlll meeeeeee! It’s Friday night and we haven’t had power since just before midnight on Thursday. I’m a baby about this. People have gone without the comforts of electricity for much longer than this, but I am near the edge of insanity. I have zero coping skills. Thursday 12: 10 a.m.: Wind is atrocious. Howling, annoying, relentless. The last woman is about to skate her individual Olympic performance and the power cuts out. Not that I even really follow women’s ice-skating, but I was following it at the moment. The noise outside is enough to wake the dead and I’m hearing something suspicious going on with the deck. I could maybe tolerate noise and fear of exploding transformers, but I cannot sleep without my beloved white noise machine. Will pray that husband falls into some sort of rhythmic and soothing snoring pattern. 12:35 a.m.: Husband is indeed snoring, but sound is laced with a

DADDY'S HOME

This is the book that really started it all in some ways for me. I'd been writing and publishing for eight years under my name. I'd written the Nikki Sands and Michaela Bancroft mystery series before DADDY'S HOME came out and I'd built a decent cozy mystery genre readership. I'd actually written Daddy's Home before MURDER UNCORKED came out because my initial intent as a writer was to be a thriller author. However, after sending Daddy's Home out on A LOT of unsolicited submissions I hadn't found representation and the idea for Murder Uncorked came to me...and viola...an agent loved it and sold three books in that series (two of them hadn't been written yet) in two weeks after signing me. Nine books in the two different series later both series were dropped and I found myself asking...what next? It was about that time that Amazon started the KDP program for Indies and I had five manuscripts that hadn't been published and none of them were what re